Just How Many Gay Men Are In Open Relationships? These New Stats May Surprise You (Or Not)
The folks at FS magazine surveyed a group of gay men living in Britain about their experiences with and opinions about open relationships, and the results may or may not surprise you.
Roughly 1,000 gay men were surveyed. Of that number, 41 percent reported that they were either in, or have previously been in, an open relationship. Now let’s dig into the data, shall we?
Related: Guys Reveal How They Really Feel About Open Relationships
When it comes to the politics of open relationships, here’s what FS learned:
- 74 percent of men who are currently in an open relationship said opening was a mutual decision between both partners.
- 12 percent of them said they have a “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy.
- 75 percent of them said they have rules in place with their relationship, but…
- 21 percent admitted to breaking those rules at least once. (Tisk, tisk!)
Related: STUDY: Cheaters More Likely To Get STDs Than Couples In Open Relationships
Now, what about all those naysayers who disagree with open relationships?
- 33 percent of single men with no experience of open relationships and 33 percent of coupled men with no experience of open relationships said they believe “open relationships are not real relationships.”
- 41 percent of single men with no experience of open relationships and 30 percent of coupled men with no experience of open relationships said opening a relationship can be toxic.
- 53 percent of single men with no experience of open relationships and 54 percent of coupled men with no experience of open relationships said they’d rather be single than in an open relationship.
Related: Man Ponders How He’ll Ever Find Real Love When He’s Obsessed With Hooking Up
Now compare that to men who are currently in an open relationship:
- 47 percent think that it’s totally possible to have an monogamous relationship but they simply chose not to.
- 50 percent think open relationships can be a good thing for a relationship.
- 75 percent believe their open relationships are great.
- 93 percent strongly disagree with the claim that “open relationships are not real relationships.”
Of all the men surveyed, 65 percent of said they believe there’s a stigma attached to gay men who are in open relationships.
Now it’s your turn. What do you think of open relationships? And does this data change your mind about anything? Sound off in the comments section below…
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Also in Think
Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich was the keynote speaker on Wednesday at the annual conference of the Log Cabin Republicans, where he joined his fellow overweight conservative Donald Trump in throwing stones from a glass house concerning former Miss Universe Alicia Machado. Trump has a long history of denigrating women, which Hillary Clinton brought up [...]
Continue Reading →
As part of their 25th Anniversary issue, Dazed paired up RuPaul and Dolly Parton to see what would happen when their oversized personalities and hairstyles collided. As you might expect, it went quite well. Here are a few highlights. Dolly on meeting RuPaul for the first time: “I thought he was big and beautiful. We’re just like twins, [...]
Continue Reading →
The below comment was written by Jason Christensen, a man currently running for Utah State Senate, in regards to a teenager who committed suicide last week over his sexuality: Since being posted on Reddit earlier today, it’s drummed up considerable outrage, with hundreds of people demanding that Christensen’s political career come to an abrupt and inauspicious end. Related: Andrew Christian Model [...]
Continue Reading →