While some people watch the Super Bowl for the game and others watch it for the commercials, this year, the LGBT community has several reasons to tune in.
Here are some reasons we are excited for Super Bowl 50:
1. Lady Gaga is Singing the National Anthem: Longtime HRC supporter and LGBT icon Lady Gaga will kick off the Super Bowl, singing the national anthem before kickoff.
2. Super Bowl 50 is in California: Just this week, HRC released our 2015 State Equality Index (SEI), which is a comprehensive state-by-state report that provides a review of statewide laws and policies that affect LGBT people and their families. California was in the highest-rated category, “Working Toward Innovative Equality.”
3. Beyonce is Performing at Half Time: Beyonce, a longtime ally to the LGBT community, will be performing at half time. In 2013, Queen B shared HRC’s viral red logo in support of marriage equality.
4. The Ads: The Super Bowl is famous for airing outrageous ads, some of which include openly LGBT celebrities and athletes. While most ads won’t air until game day, we already know that soccer star Abby Wambach is in Mini Cooper’s “Defy Labels” commercial.
5. Levi’s Stadium is Close to San Francisco: Super Bowl 50 will be at Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, a mere hour drive from San Francisco. San Francisco, which received a 100 on HRC’s Municipal Equality Index, is one of largest LGBT-friendly cities in the world and home to a vast amount of LGBT history. HRC also has an Action Center and Store in the Castro District.
Comments will be approved before showing up.