Well, it’s official. Prince died of an opioid overdose, according to law enforcement.
An anonymous source close to the investigation surrounding the 57-year-old singer’s sudden death in April confirmed to the AP this morning that it was a result of an overdose of prescription painkillers. Though the specific drug was not revealed, many are already speculating it was Percocet.
Six days before his death, Prince O.D.’d on Percocet while aboard a plane, forcing the pilot to perform an emergency landing in Moline, IL, where he had to get a “save” shot from a local hospital.
So far, two doctors have been investigated in connection to the singer’s death. Dr. Michael Schulenberg had visited Paisley Park the morning of Prince’s passing, and Dr. Howard Kornfeld’s son was also there with opioids used to treat addiction. Schulenberg’s attorney maintains the doctor did not give Prince any meds that morning.
The source who leaked Prince’s official cause of death was not authorized to speak to the media. Carver County Sheriff Jim Olson and his Chief Deputy Jason Kamerud, who have been leading the investigation, have yet to issue an official statement.